December 28th, 2020
BASIC JOB PURPOSE: Facilitates implementation of the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children at CHASS Center. Provides one-on-one counseling to clients who are high-risk. Establishes a care plan and follow up plan for high-risk clients. Provides one-on-one counseling to clients who are regularly not high-risk. Completes food package changes and approves/processes Class I, II, and III formula changes. The Nutrition Specialist/Registered Dietician Nutritionist will be cross-trained in Intake Specialist, Technician, and some Coordinator duties, The Nutrition Specialist/Registered Dietician Nutritionist will be expected to operate the WIC clinic on a daily basis.
REPRESENTATIVE DUTIES AND FUNCTIONS:
- Identify nutritional needs of clients through individual assessment.
- Provide counseling to clients who are not or are considered high-risk
- Provide nutrition education tailored or customized to the identified needs/interest of each high-risk participant.
- Teach nutrition education classes as needed.
- Develop and approve nutrition education curriculum.
- Use appropriate software to document WIC client appointments including creation of Care Plans and Follow Up documentation.
- Consult with client on WIC supplemental food packages including approval of Class I, Class ll, and Class lll formula requests.
- Conduct anthropometric and laboratory functions, including but not limited to; height check, weight check, head circumference check, hemoglobin check, cleaning lab, maintaining inventory of lab and other assigned laboratory duties.
- Assign and document appropriate referrals including but not limited to; Medical, Medicaid, MIHP Program, Food Stamp Program, Dental, etc.
- Refer clients daily to the WIC Lactation Specialist and other breastfeeding peers and programs at CHASS.
- Promote breastfeeding as the optimal form of nutrition to all pregnant, non-lactating post-partum, breastfeeding partially, breastfeeding exclusively clients.
- Communicate the risks of formula to all clients who will be receiving formula.
- Issue manual and electric breast pumps regularly.
- Assess mothers who need help with latching their baby and assist the mother with latching her baby.
- Attend MDHHS WIC Division trainings as appropriate.
- Maintain program standards that are consistent with MDHHS WIC Division policies and procedures.
- Document, distribute and maintain client records in accordance with HIPPA regulations;
- Cover the front desk, receive calls and check voicemails as needed.
- Receive direction and other duties from WIC Coordinator.
Education: Registered Dietitian credential required.
Language: Bilingual (Spanish/English) Strongly Preferred.
Experience: Two years of nutrition or health education experience. Previous experience in a community health program or a health setting preferred.
Certificate/License: Registration as a Registered Dietitian with the American Dietetic Association; registration must be maintained for continued status in this employee classification. Current Michigan Driver’s License.
Posted in .